Steel industry investment locations 2012+
Steel consultants MCI have prepared a map showing the locations of ~175 steel industry investments that are expected over the period 2012-2016. See chart below.
The map illustrates several points.
- A major focus on investment in coastal locations, especially in the Americas, in India and in China
- Relative little investment in some regions such as Canada, the African continent, Western Europe, Scandinavia and Australia
- Emphasis on investment in steel distribution in inland locations (USA, Europe)
- A marked geographic focus of investment in India (31 investments from ~175), China (30 investments), Russia (27) – with investment in Iran (10 investments) prominent also and seemingly little investment (relatively speaking) in Brazil (3)
- Much emphasis [despite the financial crisis] on investment in upstream plant (61).
See here for original copy of the steel capex geography chart shown above.